Sunday, August 9, 2009

wild women

Ahhhhhh, a weekend retreat!! Time to catch up and reconnect.  While Anna and Phil are enjoying a divine meal at Primo back home, I am relaxing on the beach in Deer Isle with Finn reading and yup, I even took a dip!  But back to the reading.  I have in my hands the most wonderfully inspiring book I would love to share with you all.  I had discovered a poster a while back in a bathroom stall in Malaprop's ( a cute book store in Asheville, NC).  The poster, I soon discovered, was in fact based on a book called Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D.  I cannot put it down.  I cannot peel my eyes away.  For my Yoga Teacher Training we are really encouraged to read inspiring books (they leave it pretty open ended) and after trying some Indian literature, some Tibetan literature, and some run of the mill inspiring spiritual books, I stumbled upon this in a second hand book store and couldn't wait to dive in.  There is nothing I can find more interesting and divine than the strength of women past and present.  I am naturally drawn towards spirited and tenacious women.  There is nothing I find more inspiring than the natural way of women, mystical, magical, healing, wise, nurturing, and .... wild.
Just a little taste:

    "Within every woman there is a wild and natural creature, a powerful force, filled with good instincts, passionate creativity, and ageless knowing.  Her name is Wild Woman, but she is an endangered species.  Though the gifts of the wildish nature come to us at birth, society's attempt to "civilize" us into rigid roles has plundered this treasure, and muffled the deep, life-giving messages of our own souls.  Without Wild Woman, we become over-domesticated, fearful, uncreative, trapped."
Hope you are inspired!
j.may

No comments:

Post a Comment