Thursday, April 30, 2009

BROCCOLINI MELTS

So it shouldn't come as any big surprise to those that know me well, but, i LOVE broccoli.  Always have.  Broccoli soup was my fav and was what i asked for every year for my birthday meal. I was flipping through one of my Moosewood cookbooks the other day, Simple Suppers (thanks Dave Mac) and found a really simple, fairly effortless meal which involved four of my favorite food items:sharp cheddar cheese, dijon mustard, bread and a close relative of broccoli-broccolini..which looks like a shrunken version of broccoli, with small florets and long, thin stalks. It is often misidentified as young broccoli, but is a cross between broccoli and kai-lan, Chinese broccoli. A natural hybrid of the cabbage family, it was developed by the Sakata Seed Company of Yokohama, Japan. Broccolini's flavor is sweet, with hints of both broccoli and asparagus. Jess-i know how you feel about conventional broccoli so you may prefer the flavor of broccolini..and besides, it's a fun word to say! Sounds kind of italian...
Anyway, all that went into preparing this meal was spreading some dijon on the bread of your choice, toasting for a moment while sauteing the vegetable in olive oil with some garlic, salt and pepper, then pulling the toast, topping with the broccolini and laying slices of cheddar on top to broil until cheese has melted. Yum. 

a.clay 

1 comment:

  1. ANNA! I found it! This looks delicioso! I would love to catch up with you April in Hawaii has been a whirlwind..... so glad its May! I don't have your new number, so please holla! love to you and yours and alllll of your wonderful creative kitchen endeavors from one foodie to another!

    ReplyDelete